Thanks to modern technology and the rise of social media, it is now really easy for military families to stay connected, be informed, and find support. The trick is finding the best sites for you, ones that you most connect to. There are government ran family support sites to big Facebook support groups to something smaller, like my blog. Each of these social media sites provide support and help military families stay connected. Staying connected is very important as a military spouse or military family.
First Lady Obama and Dr. Jill Biden created a program and site, Joining Forces, which calls out to Americans to help support military and their families. Joining Forces is committed to raising awareness about the service, sacrifice and needs of military families. They prioritize three things: employment, education and wellness. They have a Twitter and a Facebook, making Joining Forces easy to follow. This is a great support system and social medium to follow because Joining Forces is dedicated to family military support and raising awareness. This is a wonderful site for anyone, military or not, to follow and be a part of.
Another government regulated site that provides great military family support is Blog Brigade, sponsored by Military One Source and all blogs are written by U.S. military spouses. These blogs come from all over the world, where ever they are currently stationed. It is a great recourse for military families and spouses to stay connected with others and to see what is going on in the military family world. Blog Brigade posters “share their twists, turns, and tips through a series of entertaining posts that are bound to leave you energized and ready to meet the challenges of military lifestyle.” I find this blog inspirational because of all the spouses that contribute to it. I find myself relating to some posts or thinking that I might be in their situation in a few years.
There are so many social media sites geared specifically for military spouses. I found an article that listed many different family support Facebook groups, “15 Military Spouse Facebook Groups You Have to Join.” Some of these are really specific to the area a family is stationed. However, some of them were really good and inspired me to make my own list if social media support blogs. These are all blogs are visit frequently.
- The Deployment Diatribes
- This blog is run by an Army wife, Erin, and mother of four boys. They recently relocated to Asia.
- While You Were Away
- This blog posts daily tips along with products, resources and services for military family support.
- Army Wife 101
- This blog is run by an Army wife, Krystel, and mother of two. She does lots of military family support work. Her blog focuses on the ins and outs of being a military wife.
- Life Lessons of a Military Wife
- This fun blog is written by a military wife. She posts about everything on being a military wife. If you’re interested in what life is like are want someone to relate to, this is a great blog to follow.
- Singing through the Rain
- This is a blog written by an Air Force wife. She writes about military, family and marriage. I personally follow this blog and love it.
Social media can give military families the support that is so desperately needed, especially if they are stationed away from family. I use social media to find other military spouses and to find support for the daily military family life. It is a great tool to utilize.